2026年10月8日木曜日

公園で At the park

今朝はこのシーズン初めての秋らしい乾燥した清々しい朝でした。公園に着くとタイガは早速
It was a cool and dry morning with perfect blue sky - what we normally regard as a typical autumnal morning in Japan.  New typhoons are expected to approach the mainland but, for now, the weather is fine.

いつもの草風呂。刈られた草が固く乾燥してブラシのような感覚が良いのか、嬉しそうにスリゴロしていました。

As soon as we arrived at the nearest field, Taiga started rolling over the grass.  They cut the grass recently, and Taiga enjoyed the feel of the hardened leftover dry grass.



公園内を川沿いに歩いていると、なつかしい顔がやって来ました。私が勝手に「えりまき貴婦人」と呼んでいるジャックラッセルの女の子、こむぎちゃん、現在6歳です。
As we were walking along the Shakujii River that runs through the Johoku Park, we met a familiar face.  I call her 'The Lady with A Fur Shawl'.  She is a Jack Russell named Komugi, now aged 6.

コロナを境にいろんな子たちと会えなくなってしまいましたが、こむぎちゃんと最後に会ったのは思い出せないくらい前です。でも、ワンコ同士は覚えているので嬉しそうです。

After the Covid scare, many dog owners started to walk at different times of the day, instead of meeting up during regular time zones.  As a result, I cannot remember when we last met.  However, the pooches recognised each other right away.  

えりまき貴婦人の由来は、こむぎちゃんの肩、背中、胸を長い毛が覆っていることからです。まるで重い毛皮のショールをしょっているかのように見えます。

This↓ is why I call her 'The Lady with A Fur Shawl'.  The base of her head is covered with longer fur, while she is basically a smooth coated Jack Russell.  It looks as though her little body is shouldering a heavy fur shawl.

いつも笑ってしまうのは、こむぎちゃんは嬉しいと背中を丸めてお尻を地面にこすりつけるようにして歩き回ることです。こうやってクルクル私たちの周りを歩き回っていました。

Komugi has a quirky way of showing happiness.  When she meets her favourite persons/pooches, she starts circling around her friends with her back stooping and dragging her rear end on the ground.



さらに歩いていると、ヒナとセナがやってきました。年長のヒナは黒虎、セナは甲斐犬に稀に生まれるクリーム色の子です。

After parting with Komugi, we met our Kaiken friends, Hina (black brindle) and Sena (cream coloured).


ヒナは子犬で公園デビューした頃、4歳のタイガと毎日一緒に遊んでいたので今もお互いを見つけると急ぎ足になります。跡から迎えられたセナはタイガとは世代が離れていて、一緒に遊んだ経験がないのでクールです。
When Hina started coming to the park as a puppy, she played with Taiga, then 4 years old, every afternoon, so they rush to greet each other even now.  However, when Sena joined her family, Taiga was too old for her, and she made friends with others of her own age.

たいてい、こうやって一歩引いてヒナとタイがの再会を眺めるだけ。
So, Sena usually stands back like this and watches her sister and Taiga.

セナがヒナに「何やってんの?」と近づいてきました。
Sena approached Hina to get her attention.

その隙にタイガがヒナの臭いチェック。
Taiga saw the chance to take a sniff at Hina.

ヒナ・セナの飼い主さんからのいただきもの。タイガの名札です。あまりに良くできているので、私はてっきり神社で売られているお守りのようなものかと思いましたが、何と、飼い主さんの手作りだそうです。着色された漆絵具が売られているそうで、この小さな木の板に絵や文字を書くのだそうです。
表面は、タイガの血統書に載っている正式な名前。
Their dad gave me a surprise present - a little wooden tablet with Taiga's name painted on it.  It was so well made that I thought it was a sort of amulet that they sell at shrines or temples.  In fact, it was handmade by Hina/Sena's dad, using coloured lacquer paints.
On one side of the tablet, there is Taiga's formal name as appears on her pedigree certificate.

裏面はタイガのシルエット。タイガは赤虎なので、ちゃんと赤いワンコになっています。また、タイガは甲斐犬に典型的な差し尾なので、よーく特徴が表現されています。
有難うございました!
On the other side, Taiga's silhouette.  Since Taiga is a red brindle, the silhouette is dark red.  Also, it shows Taiga's tail bending forward, which is very typical of a Kaiken.  I am thrilled with this present.


さっそく着けてみました。材質の木製というところが甲斐犬の渋い雰囲気に合って、なかなか似合っています。
I put it on her when we were alone.  The wooden material gives it a very simple air which is suitable to Kaiken's image.  I think the name tag looks great on her.



===============================

センニチコウの花をお茶にするとポリフェノールを摂取できると聞いて、今年の夏に一株買いました。小学校の花壇で咲いていた記憶はあるけど、ジミな花なので今まで全く注目していませんでしたが、健康オタクになっていろんなハーブを試しているうちにセンニチコウにも当たったのです。

本当に名前のとおりいつまでも咲いています。百日草のジニアの花より更に長持ちする印象。嬉しいのは、花がなかなか劣化しないので、収穫を急ぐ必要がないことです。。

I got this pot of globe amaranth in early summer, having learned that the flowers were rich in polyphenol when used as tea.  I remember seeing these flowers in the flower bed when I was an elementary school girl, but I have never taken much interest in them because they were so plain.  However, as a health fanatic now, I regard this as one of the easiest-to-grow and beneficial herbs.  

True to the name in Japanese which means 'thousand days red flower', they do not wilt.  They seem to last much longer than zinnia flowers, which in Japanese means 'hundred days flower'.  Since the flowers stay fresh for weeks, if not months, I do not have to worry about the timing of harvest.


左は今朝摘んだ新鮮な花、右は夏の間に乾燥させて保存したもの。両方を同時に試飲して、来年以降の利用法を決めます。
On the left, the fresh flowers I picked this morning, and on the right, the flowers I dried a few months ago.  I am going to taste both so as to compare and decide which I prefer.


新鮮なほうは熱湯を注いで成分を抽出するので、花びらをほぐしました。右の乾燥花は煮だします。
The fresh flowers will be steeped in boiled water, so I pulled them off from the core.  The dried flowers will be boiled.

左の生の花びらは、熱湯を注いだあとフタをして数分間蒸らしました。右の乾燥花は数分間煎じたもの。
After pouring boiled water over the petals on the left, I left it under a cover for several minutes.  As to the dried flowers, I boiled them for several minutes.

いずれも茶こしを通してカップに注ぐと綺麗な赤系の色になりました。左が生の花から、右が乾燥した花からのもの。味見をするとあまり特徴が感じられないので、自家栽培の種無しスダチの汁を小さじ1杯加えることにしました。
After straining the liquid into cups, they tuned into lovely colours.  The pink one on the left is from fresh flowers, while the other is from dried flowers.  When I tasted them, it was rather bland, so I decided to add juice from my Seedless Sudachi that I harvested recently - one tea spoonful each.

柑橘果汁が加わってアクセントのある飲み物になりましたが、さらに砂糖小さじ1杯を足したらとても美味しくなりました。違いを上げるなら、右の乾燥花のは若干 干し草っぽい香りがありますが、これは乾燥ハーブにつきものです。
園芸店でいろんな種類のセンニチコウを見比べたところ、この赤紫の昔ながらの品種がもっとも枝の分岐が良さそうなので、来年からこれを中心に育てます。ただし、もう一品種をと思い、「クイズカーマイン」の種を既にネットで注文してあります。
With the citrus juice, the tea improved somewhat.  However, when I added a tea spoonful of sugar, it became really delicious.  They both tasted similar, but with the dried flowers, there was a hint of dry hay, which is unavoidable with dried herbs.
Having compared different varieties of this family, I like this purple variety best for its tendency to branch out.  I will be adding another variety to grow next year, QIS Carmine, whose seeds I have already ordered online.