2026年8月24日月曜日

レモン&パッションフルーツ苗 Lemon and Passion Fruit plants

 スーパーからの帰りに近所のJAを覗いてみたら、値下げ苗につい手が伸びてしまいました。JAは私がいつも買い物するスーパーのすぐ側、そしてうちはJAのすぐ近所なので、ついこういうことになってしまいます。でも、JAの事業再編の動きで2,3年後にはこの桜台のお店が遠く離れた平和台のJAに統合されるそうなので、近所で買えるうちにという気持ちが働いてしまいます。

ということで、右はレモン苗、左はパッションフルーツです。

I looked into the nearby JA on my way home from the supermarket and, before I knew it, my grubby large hands were on these plants.  The JA is located close to the supermarket, and my house is less than 100 meters away from the JA, so this happens often.  However, this will not last forever.  Due to the reorganisation movement of the JA, the outlet near my house will be merged into another one which is in a town far away from where I live.  So, I am taking advantage of the current situation while it lasts.

This morning, I picked up a lemon tree (on the right), and a passion fruit vine (on the left).


レモンはくたびれた状態の苗ですが、回復させる自身があります。
The lemon tree was a leftover and was in a sorry state, but I am confident I will be able to nurse it back to health.

品種はビラフランカ。うちに既にあるリスボン同様、トゲ無しなので扱いやすいです。私は基本的に果樹苗は、接ぎ木された太い一年生苗を買いますが、この苗は大きく育たなくても良いので挿し木苗で十分です。
It is a Villafranca.  As with my Lisbon lemon, this Villafranca is thornless, which makes it easier to handle.  Normally, with fruit trees, I buy a grafted one-year tree with a big trunk so that it will grow healthy and large.  However, I would rather that this tree remained small, growing in a pot, and I am happy with this one grown from a cutting.

パッションフルーツは、最も栽培難易度が低いエドゥリス。以前、この品種をバルコニーに設置した棚に這わせて毎年たくさんの実を収穫していましたが、ナツメ苗がバルコニーを占拠し始めたので一時中断していました。来年はナツメの大苗を庭に下す予定で、棚の再利用ができます。
The passion fruit plant is Edulis, the easiest variety to grow.  For several years, I grew this variety on the upstairs balcony using the shelf that I constructed myself.  It produced abundant fruits every year.  However, as I became keen on growing jujube plants, the balcony has been occupied by them, and I gave up growing passion fruits.  Fortunately, next year, I will be taking down some of the large jujube plants downstairs, leaving room enough for restarting passion fruits.


レモン苗は10号鉢に植え付け。パッションフルーツ苗は、冬の間 2階の部屋で管理になるので、持って階段を上り易いよう小さめの鉢です。
I planted the lemon tree in a pot with 30 cm in diameter.  As to the passion fruit, since I will have to take it upstairs for indoor wintering, I am using a smaller pot until next spring.

植物は鉢増しすると立派に見えるのが嬉しい。
Repotting a plant in a larger container makes it look much better.



種から育てたローゼル2本のうち、片方に花が咲き始めました。去年、JAで買った苗は「レッド」に分類される苗で、花はクリーム色、収穫時のガクの下の部分は緑色でした。今年育てているのは「パープル」に分類されるもので、花はピンク、ガクは全体が赤です。
This is one of the two roselle plants that I am growing from seeds.  This morning, I found two flowers on it.  The roselle plant I bought from the JA last summer was a 'red' type, with yellow flowers and the base of its calyx when ripe was green.  This year, I am growing a 'purple' type, with pink flowers and the whole calyx will be dark red.

あまりに主幹がヒョロヒョロ伸びたので、このあと天辺を摘芯しておきました。
The trunk simply shot up with few branches.  After taking this photo, I pinched the top of the trunk in order to encourage growth of new branches.