2026年8月7日金曜日

ドルゴクラブアップル Dolgo crabapple tree

 普通のリンゴは毎年夏に葉ダニがついて大変だったので諦めました。葉ダニで木全体の葉っぱが銀色になると光合成ができないので、幼果は成長がストップしてしまいます。リンゴが熟すのは10-11月なので、これでは絶対的にムリ。対して、知り合いの梅の木の場合、梅は6月で収穫してしまうので、その後で葉ダニが発生して毎夏に銀色の葉になるけど実への実害は無いようです。

それならなるべく早生のリンゴの品種であれば大丈夫かもしれませんが、本物のリンゴの場合、暖地ではとにかく虫がつきやすい。ということで、カイドウのように丈夫なクラブアップルに興味を持ちました。そこで調べてみたら、8月に収穫できる「ドルゴ」という品種に行きつきました。検索していて安い苗がオクに出ていることを知り、その業者がちょうどサマーセールを行っていたので落札しました。

I have given up growing regular apples due to recurring spider mites' damages.  When the leaves turn silver, photosynthesis is severely limited and the young fruits stop growing.  Since apples normally mature in October-November, continued growth for the fruits was impossible.  Interestingly, my friend's Ume tree also gets spider mites in summer but, due to the fact that Ume plums are harvested before the end of June, her Ume production is virtually unaffected.

In that case, an early fruiting apple variety may be an idea.  However, in a hot climate that we have in Tokyo, spider mites are just one of many problems.  So, I became interested in crabapples that are as tough as flowering crabapples and came across 'Dolgo'.  I also noticed that an online plant shop was having a summer sale on the Yahoo auction site and managed to get one.


米国の動画を見ると、ドルゴはクラブの中でも大き目の実がなり、しかも酸っぱいもの好きな人なら生食もできるそうです。私はたぶんジャムやコンポートに利用すると思います。
ドルゴはカザフスタンの原産で、ロシア経由で北米に導入されたそうで、ロシア語で「ドルゴ」は「長い」という意味だそうです。YouTubeの動画の一つには本当に細長い実が紹介されているのがありますが、他の動画の実はまん丸の実だったので、個体差があるようです。
According to US videos on YouTube, Dolgo produces fruits of a good size for a crabapple, and you can eat the fruits as fresh if you can tolerate tart fruits.  In my case, I will be using the fruits for making jam and comports.  Dolgo originates from Kazakhstan and was introduced to North American via Russia, thus the word 'Dolgo' meaning 'long' in Russian.  One of the videos showed elongated fruits, but most others were very round shaped.  So, there seems to be variation among 'Dolgo'.

送られてきた苗はしっかりした太い主幹です。
The plant has a thick trunk and seems to be robust.

10号鉢に植え付け。土が粘土の塊だったのでさらっと根洗いして植え付けしました。真夏にこんな荒いことをした後、暫くは半日陰に置きます。
I replanted it in a 30 cm diameter pot.  The soil around the roots was hard clay, so I washed it off, although it is a risky thing to do in the middle of summer.  After such a rough treatment, the plant will stay in half shade for some time.


地植えにした皇帝棗のコガネ被害が止みません。
The fruits of the Emperor jujube that I planted in the ground this spring keep getting attacked by green beetles.

日々 大きくなる実を見ていると、もう体裁を気にしている場合ではないので、
The young fruits are growing every day, and it is such a pity to have them spoiled by beetles.  So, I decided to forget about 'appearances'.

防虫ネットを購入して網掛けしました。道から丸見えです。
I bought a net with fine mesh.  The tree now stands conspicuous when looked at from the public road.
でも、これで安心。網目のサイズは1ミリ角で、雨も日光も通します。
The net's mesh is 1 mm squares.  It allows rain and sunshine pass through.


今年は日本棗の種類がひとつ増えました。2年前からある日本棗は完熟時に俵型の実になるものですが、新たに加わったこの個体のは細長い実です。
This year, I have a new Japanese jujube.  (Jujube was introduced to Japan more than a thousand years ago but no-one bothered to cultivate improved varieties.  Over the centuries, natural variation occurred, but we simply bundle them as 'Japanese jujubes' and no specific variety names exist.)  The type I got 2 years ago produces squarish fruits.  This new type produces elongated teardrop shaped fruits.
子供の頃、近所の家の庭にあった成木の実とそっくり。その木の実は早生で夏の間に色づいて落ちていたような記憶です。この木のもだんだんと色が黄色くなってきています。
This looks exactly like the fruits of a tree that was growing in our neighbour's garden when I was a child.  The fruits on that tree matured quite early - during our summer holiday.  The fruits on this tree seem to be turning light-coloured already, and I am looking forward to comparing the taste.