連日の雨のあいだに種無しスダチの枝がボウボウに徒長していました。台風25号が去って、次の26号の影響でまた雨が降る前に剪定です。3,4年前に苗を地植えにした場所は玄関横、タイガの視線の先です。
During the rainy days that lasted for more than a month, new branches of the Seedless Sudachi kept growing long and lanky. Today, we are having a break from rains, with the typhoon No. 25 gone, and before the effect of the new No. 26 starts to reach Tokyo. I planted the Seedless Sudachi in the ground a few years ago, after growing it for several years in a 30 cm in diameter pot - it is standing close to the front door and at the end of Taiga's glance.
The photo does not show well, but the new branches are getting out of control.
伸びた枝の間から覗くと、実が大きく育っています。
Peeping through the new branches, I see bunches of sudachi fruits.
だいぶスッキリしました。苗の上のほうに実のかたまりが見えます。
After pruning, the plant looks much better, and I can see the fruits at the top of the tree.
I do not know whether it is because of the weeks of rain or the fact that the tree is becoming more mature, but the fruits are larger than any I have seen in previous years.
この一番大きな実の重さを後で計りたいと思います。全体的に、デパ地下で売られている「ハウス栽培」の高級スダチに負けない出来だと思います。ただし、お店のスダチは種入り、うちのは種無しです。
もう9月下旬なので、一気に収穫しました。
Sudach fruits are consumed while they are still young, since the flavour is most intense at this stage.
10号ロングスリット鉢で育てていた間、実は小さく、雨が数日続くと裂果が多発していたのに、地植えしたあと、今年の夏の長雨にも拘わらず1個も汚損果が発生していないので大満足です。去年は地植えの初成りで3個が生り、今年はより多い結実だったので、将来が明るいです。
This fruit seems to be largest, and I am going to weigh it later. Overall, I feel that these homegrown fruits are as good as any that are sold in department stores as high-end sudachi. Moreover, those in the shop are regular sudachi with tonnes of seeds inside, whereas mine are basically seedless.
While this tree was growing in the pot, the fruits were much smaller, and after a few days of continuous rain, there used to be cracks on many of the fruits. This year, in spite of the weeks of rain, there has been no crack or any other form of spoilage. Last year was the first time of fruiting after planting the tree in the ground and it produced 3 fruits. So, it is getting better every year.
一番大きな実の果重は40gでした。
一番大きな実の果重は40gでした。
The largest fruit weighed 40g - quite heavy for a sudachi.
半割にした状態。果汁た~っぷり! 果肉の色は、実物はもっと浅緑色で、写真のような黄色ではありません。この外皮の薄さにも拘わらず、雨による裂果が無かったのには再度驚き。
When I cut it into half, the juice spouted out. As to the colour of the flesh, my camera is misleading, since the actual flesh was light green - the right stage for consuming sudachi. Considering how thin the outer skin is, it is amazing that there was no crack on the fruits after days of rain.
絞ると種は一個だけ。期待以上に果汁が多いです。











