ページ (Pages)

2026年7月26日日曜日

ゼラニウムがだめなら If geranium does not work

 先日のゼラニウムの効果は未だ現れていません。株元にコガネ成虫が転がっていない一方、皇帝ナツメの幼果がまた新たに齧られています(ゼラニウムを齧った跡の麻痺状態がどれだけ継続するのか不明なので、私がチェックしに行くまでには回復していたのかも)。そこで、ネットで見かけた今一つの情報を元に用意したのがコレ。コガネ成虫はバナナやスモモなどの果物が好きだそうなので、バナナのかけらに釣られて侵入したコガネが足を滑らせてカップ底の石鹸水の中に落ちる、というシーンを想定して作りました。

I have not seen any effect of the geranium plant that I got a few days ago.  I do not see any Japanese beetles lying about under the geranium plant, while a few more new young jujube fruits have been gnawed at (as to the paralysis time after eating geranium, I do not know for how long it lasts - maybe they have recovered and flown away by the time I go to check).  So, I decided to act on another piece of information and made this↓.  The article on the net said that Japanese beetles love fruits such as bananas and plums.  With this device, I am hoping that the beetle will be enticed by the piece of banana and accidentally slip into the soapy liquid at the bottom of the plastic cup.  


さっそく木の中間あたりの枝に吊るして様子見です。
I hung the cup halfway up the tree.

皇帝の株元にはゼラニウムもあるので、どちらかが効果を発揮してくれることを期待。
The geranium plant stays at the bottom of the jujube tree.  With this double-barrelled approach, I should stand a better chance.

4年くらい前に地植えにした種無しスダチがぼうぼう。先月始めに掻き芽をしてすっきりしたばかりですが、最近は夕方から夜にかけて毎日雨が降るので新梢がまた盛んに出ています。地植えにしてから実が生らなかったのが、去年はじめて3個だけ生りました。
I planted this seedless Sudachi in the ground about 4 years ago.  Its branches are getting thick, even though I pruned the tree only last month.  For the last few days, we have had rains every day after sunset and the humidity and heat have encouraged the new buds to come out.  After planting it in the ground, it produced no fruits until last year when it had 3 fruits.

今年は十数個生っているので、木の成長がやっと落ち着き始めたようです。種無しスダチは最高です。柚子の場合、多田錦は大実柚子に比べて小振りなのに対し、この種無しスダチは種だらけの普通品種と同じ。種がない分、果肉がとてもジューシーです。9月まで、もう少し大きくなります。
This year, I have more than 15 fruits growing, so I think the tree's priority is starting to shift from growth to producing fruits.  This seedless Sudachi is excellent.  In the case of Yuzu, fruits of the seedless Yuzu, Tadanishiki, are smaller than those of regular Yuzu.  No such disadvantage with this seedless Sudachi - the fruits are the same size as those of regular Sudachi packed with seeds.  So, for the same size of fruits, this seedless Sudachi has far more flesh and juice than the regular Sudachi.  Moreover, the tree is thornless.  We harvest Sudachi fruits in September while the fruits are still green, when the flavour is a lot more intense than when the fruits are ripe and golden.



これは種無し柚子の多田錦。去年買った苗を、もう今年の春に地植えにしたので実は期待していませんでしたが、結構生っています。
This is the seedless Yuzu, named Tadanishiki.  I bought this plant last year and planted it in the ground this spring.  I was prepared to see no fruits for a few years, as I did with the seedless Sudachi.  However, it is already fruiting to my delight.


その隣に植わっているカラカラオレンジに高接ぎしてある星タンゴールの実が順調に肥大していて、今は小さめの温州ミカン程度になっています。
Next to the Tadanishiki  is Cara Cara orange tree on which I grafted a branch of a golden orange called Hoshi Tangor.  Its first fruit is growing nicely and now it is the size of a smallish tangerine orange.

==============================

最近の雨で湿度が高くて、公園に行っても清々しさは感じられません。
Due to the frequent rain in the last few days, the humidity is high and I do not feel fresh air even in the park.

それでも楽しそうなタイガ。
Taiga looks happy at any rate.

背後の植え込みのフヨウ。いかにも蒸し暑い夏の花です。
Among the bush behind Taiga is a tree, Hibiscus mutabilis,  that thrives in this humid climate.  Looking at these flowers makes me think 'Aw, it's that time of the year....'